Friday, August 13, 2010

Potluck party & Watching Fireworks in Yokohama

In my letter to my host family, I have written that I would like to try on Yukata, or Japanese traditional summer dress during my stay in Japan. My host mom gladly agreed and decided to ask one of her friends to lend me her Yukata at my farewell potluck party. I have never tried on a Yukata before, so I was pretty excited. Trying on a Yukata made me feel like a traditional Japanese woman although I would have never expected that Yukata was so tight around the weight to the point when I couldn't breathe. Maybe this is why Japanese woman speak so softly. They don't have the energy to speak loudly when there is no air to take in.


But I had yet another chance to wear Yukata when Eru, my first Japanese friend, invited me to go watch fireworks with her in Yokohama. Eru and I first met in Paris in front of the Eiffel Tower this past spring break. Back then, my Japanese was not even close to where I am today so every sentence was slurred and it was a challenge just communicating with her. However, somehow our fate met again when I came to Tokyo this summer and we have grown especially close since then. Eru surprised me with a reservation at a hair salon, where not only did we get dressed into Yukata, but we also got our full hair done.
Watching the beautiful fireworks in Yukata was definitely an unforgettable experience.
I don't think you can ever go wrong with Doraemon (a famous Japanese anime character that looks like a cat robot), candy, and heart shaped fireworks.




No comments:

Post a Comment