Friday, August 13, 2010

Wrapping up my stay in Japan



Two months have gone by so quickly. I cannot believe that I actually thought that I had
a lot of time in the beginning. Other than my drastically improved Japanese skills and
my new take on Japanese culture & urban lifestyle, I think I have one other very important lesson
to take back home.


I have realized during my stay in Tokyo that some of the most precious moments come from
the most ordinary events with my host family. Japanese people value family time greatly, and even breakfast time is when the entire family gather around the table to eat and talk together about their upcoming day. This contrasts greatly from the American lifestyle, where everyone's too busy to even grab a decent breakfast if at all.


In the states, I think I often find myself making excuses that I'm too busy to do something whether it's spending enough time with my family, friends, neighbors, etc. But after my two months stay in Japan, I think my fundamental paradigm has shifted to appreciate family time, and also finding joy even in the most small, trivial things. This is something that I will keep within myself even after my Tokyo journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment