Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is new?

It has been about two weeks since I have returned from Tokyo to Seoul.
Some people who have been consistently following my blog (thank you) have already been
noticing that I haven't blogged since my return.

So today as I'm tuning into a live jazz podcast from the radio, I'm just going to babble for a while. Please bear with me here.
What is new?
I think I'm definitely taking less pictures now since Tokyo (actually none if I'm not counting one picture that was tagged by others on fbook which I'll share). There were couple of Yalies in Korea gatherings, and I'm spending quite of bit of time with friends and family.


But of course, if you know me enough, you probably would know that I may be up to something else. I am.

For one, I've decided to be more active physically. I started bellydancing.

Please don't ask me to bellydance for you. As I said, I just started. I have done cheerleading and some dancing in high school, but bellydancing gives me a completely different vibe and energy.
Hard, fast beats echoing across the room. It seems as if there's nothing but the air and the music. The Music. The drumbeats are really what I love. You experience this high when the consistent drum beats suddenly take a turn and become inconsistent. Yet you're body's still transitioning, trying to figure out the new beat. The smooth bellyroll follows and your breath become one with your motions. Let's not forget the seductive hand motions. To be honest, there are times when I just stare at the bellydance instructor rather than actually following what she's doing. I think I will soon develop a secret crush on her.

I have also taken interest in poker.


One of my friends, Dan, who's been playing poker for about seven years now, offered
to actually teach me poker. Given that I'm a complete novice at this game, Dan was really patient with me teaching me all the rules and skills. I was hooked.
He asked me why I wanted to learn poker.
I thought for a moment. I couldn't say why for sure. Maybe I find the principle "All or Nothing" inevitable in life. In fact, I was never a great multi-tasker. So throughout teen years (wow I guess I'm not a teen anymore?) I always had to give my everything to achieve one goal. Funny how I actually had "All or Nothing" posted on my desk back in California. Regardless what the reason may be, I find poker fun and exciting.

Apparently, woman player who can pull off innocent looks can be dangerous at a poker table. Because chances are everyone else is going to think that you suck when you might be pretty good. When I get hang of this game, perhaps I should head to Las Vegas (well once I turn 21 that is).

Finally, I have started reading blogs of all kinds. Friends, well-known journalists, random bloggers, teens, etc. Few of my personal favorites are Tavi of Style Rookie, Nicholas Kristof of NY times, Al Roth/Peter Coles's Marketdesigner.

Yesterday, I visited one of my really good friend's blog and got into thinking of what turns me on. She wrote "It seems that the reason it's hard to understand other people is that we are turned on by different things."

I can only add that it seems that the reason it's hard to understand other people is that we are still searching for what we're really turned on by.
I know I am.

I'm going to close today with a quote from Ingmar Bergman.
“My basic view of things is – not to have any basic view of things. From having been exceedingly dogmatic, my views on life have gradually dissolved. They don’t exist any longer.”
I think this is going to help me in dropping my guards in search for what I'm really turned on by.

So I ask, what turns you on?

3 comments:

  1. One does not take less pictures, one takes fewer pictures.

    What turns me on? Proper use of grammar! :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So I ask, what turns you on?"

    This should be one of the Light Fellowship's first blog questions. =)

    ReplyDelete